How to dine out and still diet
According to a recent study by the USDA, 75% of people usually dine out at least once a week and the other 25% dine out multiple times per week. Dining out poses a problem for those who are on a diet or who are trying to lose weight. There are a few misconceptions, such as skipping lunch in order to have a big dinner later, which, in itself, is an unwise thing to do. Because you starve all day, you are most likely to attack the bread sticks and other buttered bread on the table long before speaking to the waiter about your order! That’s 200 unwanted and unnecessary calories before your meal has even begun. You’d be more in control of temptations like this if you control your hunger pangs.
Smart dining tips:
- Have a light lunch and later in the afternoon, have a snack, such as yogurt or a handful of dry fruits/nuts.
- Restrict yourself to just one glass of red wine.
- Control your portions! It is not essential that you eat everything on the plate. Just eat until you are no longer hungry, but not full.
- Be smart with the salad – do not choose a creamy dressing, ask for the dressing on the side and eliminate the bacon and cheese.
- If you order a steak, then choose the lean pieces like tenderloin or strips.
- Restaurants never refuse special food requests; you can always have your food grilled, boiled or poached instead of deep fried.
- Considering the increasing portion sizes offered at most restaurants these days, you can always split an order. Some restaurants will offer half portions or they have a senior menu.